German Potato Bread
My little 11-month food connoisseur loves potatoes. So, I flip through my 500 Potato Recipes book and give this easy-peasy German Potato Bread recipe a try.
German Potato Bread, p. 249
(Makes one 450g loaf)
175g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
200ml lukewarm boiled potato water
Butter, for greasing
2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Note: I omit paprika and mustard-flavored butter (original recipe).
1. Boil potatoes until tender, drain (reserve 200ml) and mash. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 230°C. Grease a 450g loaf tin (pan).
3. Sift bread flour into a large bowl and mix together with baking powder and salt.
4. Rub the mashed potatoes into the flour mixture and mix until well-blended.
5. Stir in vegetable oil and lukewarm potato water. Knead into dough and place it into the greased loaf tin.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn out on a wire rack to cool. Cut into thick chunks before serving.
Fresh from the oven!
Thick and chunky.
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up (July 2014 Event: Potato) organized by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids), Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Jasline (Foodie Baker).