My mother-in-law's Mini Malaysian Pancake (Mini Apam Balik)Friday, December 20, 2013
1 ½ cup warm water
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/3 cup sugar
Sesame seeds (optional)
Margarine (for greasing)
Filling: Red bean paste
Utensils: Pan, Egg Rings and Turner
1. Mix the flour with instant yeast and bicarbonate soda.
2. Make a well in the flour and put in the eggs. Mix well.
3. Put in the water and sugar and mix into a smooth batter. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Leave the batter for 30 minutes for the yeast to work.
5. Heat pan and place egg rings on pan.
6. Put a little margarine into each egg ring. Sprinkle in some sesame seeds. (The presentation side will have the sesame seeds.)
7. Scoop 1 dsp (dessert spoon) of batter into each egg ring.
8. Put in about 1 tsp of red bean paste into each ring.
9. Spoon in 2 dsp of batter to cover the paste.
10. Remove the rings when almost done on one side. Turn over the pancake to cook the other side.
11. Remove from pan when cooked.
(Makes 18 mini pancakes, can replace red bean paste with creamy sweet corn.)