Contact Me

Contact Me
Contact Me

Working Mom Blogger

Working Mom Blogger
Working Mom Blogger

Health & Wellness

Health & Wellness
Health & Wellness



Daycare (Day Surgery) Hospitalization Experience at Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur


Why Was I Admitted to the Daycare Ward at Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur?

To give some context, here's the background story. Long post ahead!
I hadn't experienced debilitating period cramps for years after giving birth to my two children, with the last birth in 2016. However, in late 2019, I began to experience unusual and occasionally unbearable period cramps. I didn't think much of it initially and simply endured.
When the pandemic struck in March 2020, the monthly pain became so severe that I resorted to painkillers. I started with basic Panadol but eventually needed stronger painkillers like Ponstan, Celebrex, and even Arcoxia.

In August 2021, I visited SJMC and received a diagnosis of adenomyosis. At that time, the O&G specialist suggested a biopsy to rule out more serious issues, but I wasn't ready for further procedures.
As time passed, I continued to rely on painkillers every month during my periods. Despite the excruciating pain, I didn't experience unusually heavy bleeding, and my cycles remained regular. I attributed the increasing discomfort to the natural process of aging.
In September 2022, I developed a lower abdominal pain that persisted for days after my period. I underwent an abdominal ultrasound at Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur, which didn't reveal significant issues. Therefore, I didn't pursue any follow-up appointments based on the results.

Fast forward to August 2023, after enduring so many months of severely debilitating cramps, heavy bleeding with clots, and having to take medical or emergency leave every month, I decided to consult with the staff MO. She advised me that for a woman of my age, who has given birth before, experiencing such debilitating period pain was unusual. She sent me for an ultrasound focusing on my uterus. The results confirmed the adenomyosis diagnosis and the presence of a possible growth, perhaps a myoma. The MO recommended that I consult with an O&G specialist for further treatment.
Given that Dr. Paul Ng, the obstetrics & gynecology doctor who delivered my second child, practices at Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur, I naturally chose to seek his expertise for further treatment.

Consultation with Obstetrician & Gynecologist Dr Paul Ng and Treatment Options

Based on the reported symptoms, initial diagnosis of adenomyosis, and a transvaginal ultrasound performed by Dr. Paul, there were basically four treatment options available:
1. Monitoring: This entailed continued painkiller use for approximately another decade until menopause. Oh dear.
2. Oral contraceptive pill (Visanne): I ruled out this option due to concerns about potential weight gain associated with oral contraceptives, which I have read online and heard from other fellow mothers.
3. Hysteroscopy D&C + Mirena (IUD) insertion: Hysteroscopy D&C would serve both diagnostic and treatment purposes, addressing abnormal uterine bleeding and removing endometrial polyps. The Mirena, which is a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system helps alleviate heavy menstrual bleeding and pain associated with adenomyosis.

4. Hysterectomy (uterus removal surgery): Dr. Paul advised against this option, considering that my condition wasn't severe enough to warrant such an extensive procedure.

After conducting research over a few weeks, I made the decision to proceed with option 3, which involved hysteroscopy D&C and Mirena IUD insertion.

Daycare Admission Checklist


A few days before the procedure, I visited Dr. Paul's clinic to sign the consent form. At the same time, I also received the checklist above from his nurse, which served as a guideline for the necessary preparations prior to admission.
In my case, I refrained from bringing any valuable items like rings, necklaces, and earrings. I was also advised to pack spare underwear and sanitary pads. An important reminder stressed the avoidance of Chinese herbs or medications both before and after surgery to prevent any contraindications.

I also needed to fast for 6-7 hours before the procedure.

Admission Day

I registered myself at the Daycare Ward at PHKL @ Block B, Level 1 at 7:30am.

Here's the patient registration band with my name, IC number, MRN (Medical Record Number), and registration number (the string of alphanumerics that start with PHKL). My height and weight were also recorded after registration.

Then, the nurses brought me over to my room. Look at the size of the single-bedded room that I was assigned to!

Another angle of the hospital bed.

Super clean toilet.

A cabinet to store my stuff.
Patient gown and surgical cap.

Making myself comfortable while waiting for the procedure scheduled at 12 noon.

Within 20 minutes of registration, the nurses promptly and efficiently measured my blood pressure, conducted an ECG, and drew my blood for blood tests. Awesome!

Meeting Anesthesiologist Dr Lim KY

At around 9:30am, Anesthesiologist Dr Lim KY and a nurse came to see me for preoperative assessment. He inquired about my medical history, prior surgeries, previous experience with anesthesia, medication allergies, recent illnesses, and other pertinent details.
During our discussion, I mentioned a past experience where I felt choked when anesthetic drugs were administered. This happened during my knee arthroscopy procedure. I also informed him of two slightly loose teeth in my lower jaw. Dr. Lim attentively noted my concerns.

From the Ward to Operating Theater and Back to Ward

At 11:20am, one of the nurses came into the room and asked me to change into the patient gown. Then, around 11:35am, I was transported on the hospital bed from Block B (Daycare Ward) to Block C where the Operating Theaters (OTs) are located.
Upon arrival at the OT's waiting and preparation area, the OT nurses transferred me to another bed and verified some procedural details with me in a record book. Subsequently, they pushed my bed to an adjoining waiting area, which one of the OT nurses humorously referred to as the "transit area." I distinctly remember checking the wall clock, and it showed 11:48 am, precisely when I settled in.

After a wait of approximately 20 minutes, I heard someone call out, 'Where is Dr. Paul's patient, Lee XXX XXX?' I was then transported to one of the OTs where Dr. Lim and his team were stationed. They directed me to move onto the operating table, where a heated pad was placed, and I laid down on it.
Dr. Lim introduced one of the operating room nurses, who began preparing the necessary equipment on my body. Dr. Lim also skillfully administered the IV catheter, all the while engaging in lighthearted conversation to help alleviate my apprehension. In response, I shared that I was simply curious about the entire process.
Then, Dr. Paul arrived, greeted me with his reassuring presence, provided a brief overview of the procedure, and then it was showtime!

Thanks to Dr. Lim's attention to my past anesthesia experience, I didn't experience the choking sensation this time. I vividly recalled my eyelids becoming heavier until I eventually blacked out.

Upon waking up, my first instinct was to check the wall clock, which read 1:20 pm. Two other patients shared the recovery area with me. I rested for a while, and to my relief, I didn't feel overly groggy or nauseated, a significant improvement from my previous experience. Around 1:50 pm, I was transported back to my ward.

Arrived at my room safe and sound.

The IV catheter.

The drip to prepare me for hydration before I can eat and drink.

Plain water, sandwich, and Milo to break my fast. I rested for a while before I decided to eat. Then I also changed out from the patient gown into my own clothes and went to pee.

Due to the hysteroscopy D&C procedure, I experienced some light bleeding, which was entirely anticipated. I simply used the sanitary pad I had brought with me earlier in the day.
Around 3:30pm, Dr. Paul came to my room and explained briefly regarding the removal of polyps during the D&C earlier on. He also informed me that he would be issuing a medical leave slip. Then he mentioned I could be discharged after all necessary paperwork were completed by the nurses.

My next follow-up appointment at Dr. Paul's clinic is scheduled next week (7 days post procedure).
I took a quick nap until 4:30pm before I called my husband to let him know when could I be fetched from the hospital. I wasn't allowed to drive post GA.

Antibiotics for the next 7 days.

Panadol Extend were also prescribed for pain management since mild cramping and abdominal discomfort were expected. However, I haven't needed to take any Panadol yet as the discomfort has been quite mild in comparison to my usual period cramps prior to the procedure.


At approximately 5:30 pm, one of the nurses handed me the office phone. It was Dr. Lim on the other end. He kindly reminded me to take it easy, avoid driving, no swimming, and refrain from engaging in strenuous activities over the next few days.
Following this, I was discharged once all the required paperwork was completed.


Overall, my hospitalization journey was exceptionally pleasant. Choosing Dr. Paul and Pantai Hospital Kuala Lumpur for my treatment was undoubtedly the right decision. Dr Lim and the anesthesia team, OT nurses, and daycare ward nurses were all friendly, professional, and supportive. I have no regrets!

Speedy recovery to myself!


No comments