Ever read this? To build strong office relationship, learn the five love languages for colleagues.
Now, don't get me wrong. Relationship here doesn't mean the boy-girl thing.
Here are the 5 fundamentals in our day-to-day communication with our colleagues to build better relationships with them. That's what I call communicate to connect.
1. Words of affirmation: To boost self-esteem and confidence and to let people know that they are doing something right. People get motivated and have a healthier self-esteem and thus a more communicative relationship between colleagues can be built.
[Personally, whenever my manager affirms the efforts that I put forth, I'm very much motivated to work harder and smarter :)]
2. Quality time: Get to know other people in order to support one another effectively. But this is not to become busybodies who poke into others' personal stuff. The talking one should know the limit of telling and the listening one should know the limit of asking.
[There was once I told my manager that I was stressed out. He brought me to dinner after work. Surprisingly, I was de-stressed without extra effort :)]
3. Giving gifts: Small gifts lift people's spirit and are great motivators too.
[I've never expected to receive gifts for my birthday this year. But W & J's gifts surprised me, in a pleasant way. Thanks! :)]
4. Acts of service: In times of need, this gives satisfaction & appreciation.
[Helping me out while I shifted house is really a great thing to me. Thanks a lot! :)]
5. Touch: A little pat on the back or shoulder will do in our Asian culture.
I believe this is for everyone, not only for managers & bosses.
I've a good time working at this current company. There are chances to grow up and learn new skills to enrich our profile. I got nothing to lose. It's a rewarding experience working here :)