Garlic & Cheese Popovers
Have you heard of popovers? After I find out about the latest Bake-along theme being Popovers, I do some Googling. Popovers are similar to England's Yorkshire pudding, but typically lighter and less dense. Okay, I don't know what a Yorkshire pudding is. Haha.
Popovers are best baked in a special popover pan which has much deeper cups (compared to traditional muffin pans). However, muffin pans can still be used. Woohoo!
Next, popover recipes. Mr. Google provides a lot of recipes. Earlier this month, I baked some Cheddar Cheese Biscuits and I still have garlic powder and cheddar cheese. And so, I bake Garlic & Cheese Popovers.
(Makes 10 in a deep muffin pan)
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Extra butter for greasing
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Place popover pans (I use a deep muffin pan) on a baking sheet and put the pan at the bottom third of the oven during the preheating process.
2. Warm milk over medium heat at the stove. Switch off heat before it boils and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until smooth. Slowly whisk in warm milk and melted butter.
4. Sift together flour, salt, and garlic powder. Add into egg mixture and mix gently. Add grated Cheddar cheese and stir in. Pour batter into a large pitcher.
Note: The batter is runny.
5. Remove the muffin pan from the oven and grease generously with butter. Half-fill the cups and return to the oven immediately.
6. Bake at 220°C for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 180°C and bake for another 15 minutes. Leave in the oven for about 5-8 minutes before removing. Serve immediately.
|Preheating the deep muffin pan in my oven.|
|Basic ingredients are eggs, milk, butter, flour, salt.|
|Half-fill cups with popover batter.|
|The batter starts to pop over after 10 minutes.|
|The popping gets more spectacular after 15 minutes.|
|Here they are! Lovely golden brown crust.|
|The hollow insides. :)|
I'm happy with the results! They are delicious too. Hubby eats three at one go. Hehe. :)
I'm linking this post to the event, Bake-Along #68: Theme - Popovers organized by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings, and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.