Stay Away from 8 Toxic Personalities (Repost)Saturday, September 1, 2012
As a Christian, I grew up with the faith and belief that mankind was created in the image of God and thus, possessing God's nature. I assume that since God is love, light, life, and everything good, men must be the same as well. Right?
The truth and nothing but the truth is this: Dealing with all sorts of people anytime and anywhere has become quite a chore to such an extent that we couldn't help but to ease the tension by bitching about certain good-for-nothing people.
Well, although the truth hurts, it's far better than believing in lies which are far worse. Such experience was confirmed by an impressive and inspiring quote: "Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."
To all good souls who share great advices, inspiring quotes, quirky experiences, and hearty chats, THANK YOU!!!
Lo and behold! The Internet also decided to shower me with the power of knowledge with this great article: "8 Toxic Personalities to Avoid", which turns out to match the idea of "small minds discuss people".
Wait. Define "discuss people". If 'discuss' means 'bitching' to you, there's no point reading the summary below. If 'discuss' means 'analyze' and 'learn', then feel free to continue reading. :)
Here's a summary of the article. Note: Credits to the original author (as per link above).
Here are the worst of the toxic personalities:
1. Manipulative Mary:
- They are experts at manipulation tactics.
- They can figure out what your 'buttons' are and push them to get what they want.
- They find ways to make you do things that you don't necessarily want to do; before you know it, you lose your sense of identity, personal priorities, and ability to see the reality of the situation.
2. Narcissistic Nancy:
- They have an extreme sense of self-importance and believe that the world revolves around them.
- They tend to be a bit overt about getting their needs met till you want to say to them, "It isn't always about you."
3. Debbie Downers:
- They can't appreciate the positive in life and will take the joy out of everything.
- Their negativity may consume you and you start looking at things with gray colored glasses yourself.
4. Judgmental Jims:
- They see things as strange, unattractive, and 'wrong'.
- If you like someone's eclectic taste, they find it 'disturbing' or 'bad'.
- Spending a lot of time with these types can inadvertently convert you into a judgmental person as well.
5. Dream Killing Keiths:
- Every time you have an idea, they tell you why you can't do it. As you achieve, they try to pull you down. As you dream, they are the first to tell you it is impossible.
- They are stuck in "what if" instead of "what could be".
- They eat away at your self-esteem and your belief in yourself.
- They don't believe that progress and change can only occur from doing new things and innovating, dreaming the impossible, and reaching for the stars.
6. Insincere Illissas:
- You never quite feel that these people are being sincere. You tell a funny story, they give you a polite laugh; you feel depressed and sad and they give you a 'there, there' type response; you tell them you are excited about something and you get a very ho-hum response.
- When you are really in need of a friend, they won't be there. When you really need constructive criticism, they would rather tell you that you are great the way you are. When you need support, they would rather see you fail or make a fool of yourself.
7. Disrespectful Dannys:
- They will say or do things at the most inappropriate times and in the most inappropriate ways.
- They have no sense of boundaries and don't respect your feelings or privacy, thus, causing you to feel frustrated and disrespectful.
8. Never Enough Nellies:
- You can never give enough to these people to make them happy, they take you for granted and have unrealistic expectations of you.
- They find ways to continually fault you and never take responsibility for anything themselves.
- You will spend so much time trying to please them, that you will end up losing yourself in the process. They will require all of your time and energy, leaving you worn out and your own needs sacrificed.
Frankly speaking, life is too short to spend our time dealing with toxic people. Just stay away from them.