Here's my mother-in-law's Pork Belly Stew & Baked Whole Pumpkin recipe. :D
Pork Belly Stew
- 400g pork ribs (get the butcher to chop 4cm length)
- 100g pork belly (recommended addition)
- 3 slices of ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 star anise
- 2 dried/fresh chilies, seeds removed
- 1 carrot, chopped into medium chunks
- 3-4 dried Shiitake mushrooms, soaked and halved
- 1 handful of Chinese chestnuts, boiled and halved
- 400-600ml water (start with less, add more if necessary)
- 1½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn flour, mixed in 2 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon Chinese cooking wine (Hua Tiao Chiew), optional
- Marinate pork ribs and pork belly with seasoning for at least 2 hours.
- Heat up a cooking pan. Add 2 tablespoon cooking oil, ginger, garlic, shallots, star anise, and chilies. Stir fry till fragrant.
- Pour in the marinated pork ribs and pork belly. Stir fry until meat is half cooked.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, and chestnuts. Stir fry for another few minutes, mix well, and add 400ml water.
- Bring to boil and simmer at low heat for about an hour or till pork ribs are tender.
- Add some water when the mixture starts to dry up.
Baked Whole Pumpkin
Tips: Start baking the pumpkin when the pork stew is half-cooked.
- Wash the pumpkin well.
- Insert knife at the "shoulder" of the pumpkin and cut around it to form a "lid".
- Scrap the seeds and strings out with a spoon or your hand. Note: You can keep the seeds aside for roasting. Separate the strings from the seeds. Boil the seeds in salt water for 10 minutes. Drain and dry. Arrange the seeds on a flat tray in single layer. Roast for about 30-45 minutes at 180C. You will get delicious crunchy pumpkin seeds that can be eaten peeled or whole.
- Rub the interior of the pumpkin with olive oil/any cooking oil.
- Place the "lid" back onto the pumpkin and transfer to an oven. Note: You may need a medium-large pumpkin for 500g of pork ribs and pork belly.
- Bake at 180C/400F. No per-heating needed. Note: A medium-sized pumpkin can be ready in 60 minutes.
- When the stew is ready, scoop into the pumpkin (the pumpkin should be half-done by now) and continue baking until pumpkin is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.