Pumpkin Macaroni & Cheese
I found this recipe by Jenna Weber of Eat, Live, Run with this description: Give mac and cheese a seasonal twist with this recipe for baked pumpkin shells and cheese.
(Adapted from original recipe to serve 2)
1 cup dry macaroni (elbow) pasta
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups fresh milk
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 190°C.
2. Cook macaroni pasta in boiling salted water. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
3. In a sauce pan, melt butter and add flour over medium-high heat. Whisk together and cook for thirty seconds. Add 1 cup milk and whisk until smooth. Add another cup of milk and continue to whisk. Cook for about 3-4 minutes while whisking. The mixture will become thick and lumpy.
4. Add grated Cheddar cheese (reserving about a handful of grated cheese) and stir well until it melts. Add salt, pepper, and pumpkin puree.
5. Once everything is smooth, add cooked macaroni and toss well. Pour into a lightly greased 8x8-inch baking pan. Top with breadcrumbs and the remaining grated cheese.
6. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
|Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling!|
|A lethal combo: pumpkin and cheese!|