Steamed Chocolate & Cheese Layer Cake
My mom-in-law made this lovely cake for my hubby's birthday last month. :)
Note: This recipe yields a 7x7-inch square cake or 7x3-inch round cake.
Ingredients (for chocolate layers):
2 large eggs
225g caster sugar
125g superfine flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
125ml hot water
125ml evaporated milk
125ml corn oil
A pinch of salt
Ingredients (for cheese layer):
250g cream cheese
60g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon superfine flour
1 tablespoon water
1. Start by boiling the water in the steamer.
2. Grease the cake pan (use 7 inch x 7 inch x 3 inch square or 7 inch diameter x 3 inch round) and place grease-proof paper for the bottom. Grease the top of the paper. Set aside.
For the chocolate layers:
1. Whisk egg and sugar until fluffy and thick.
2. Add vanilla essence and salt. Continue whisking.
3. Add evaporated milk, corn oil and hot water. Whisk at medium speed until well-mixed.
4. Add flour mixture a little at a time and mix well with a wooden spoon. Makes about 3 cups.
5. Divide the mixture into two equal portions. Measure well or else the layers will not be of the same height. Set aside.
For the cheese layer:
1. Whisk cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
2. Add an egg and whisk until fluffy.
3. Add flour and water. Continue whisking until smooth.
1. Pour one portion of the chocolate mix into the pan. Level the batter.
2. Steam for 20 minutes on medium heat.
3. Remove from steamer.
4. Scoop the cheese mix slowly onto the chocolate layer. Level the mixture and steam for another 20 minutes.
5. Remove from steamer.
6. Pour the other portion of the chocolate mix onto the cheese layer. Level the batter and continue to steam for another 45 minutes or until cooked. Check with a prick.
7. Leave the cake to cool in the steamer for a few minutes.
8. Let the cake cool completely before removing it from the pan.