Pumpkin Fries with Salted Egg Yolk
I was thinking about salted eggs when I remembered this dish that I had a long time ago at one of those fancy-schmancy Chinese restaurants. So, I made a plate of this delightful snack for supper.
Recipe adapted from here.
1/2 small pumpkin
2-3 salted egg yolks
1 small fresh egg
1/4 teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Rice bran oil for frying
1. Steam salted egg yolks for 8-10 minutes. Mash with a fork and set aside.
2. Cut pumpkin into strips that resemble fries.
3. Beat an egg lightly and stir in pumpkin strips. Add salt. Mix and set aside for 10-20 minutes.
4. Mix both flours and baking powder in a bowl. Coat pumpkin strips evenly with flour.
5. Heat rice bran oil in a frying pan until hot and fry pumpkin strips until golden. Remove from the pan and drain excess oil with paper towels.
6. Heat 1/2 tablespoon rice bran oil in another pan; add in mashed salted egg yolks. Stir fry until light and fluffy (foamy). Add in pumpkin fries and stir well.
7. Garnish and serve immediately.