Toasted Cheese Bread with Garbanzo Beans Puree and Anchovy and Black Olive Relish
What a mouthful! Hahaha! The original recipe is Diana Henry's Crostini with White Bean Puree and Anchovy and Black Olive Relish.
This week, I Heart Cooking Club's theme is cooking up exotic stuff such as jams, dressings, sauces, condiments, herb and spice mixes, pickles, and/or preserved items with exotic flavors.
So, I choose Diana Henry's anchovy and black olive relish. I replace white beans (cannellini beans) with garbanzo beans (chickpeas). For the crostini, I use my own homemade Cheddar cheese bread.
For the black olive relish:
50g can anchovies in olive oil, chopped
50g pitted black olives, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the garbanzo beans puree:
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh chicken stock, hot
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the crostini:
2-3 thick slices of Cheddar cheese bread
1. Heat up rice bran oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic, garbanzo beans, and chicken stock. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, until the beans are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, to make the black olive relish, stir all ingredients together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Process the beans and their liquid with extra virgin olive oil in a blender. Set aside. The puree will thicken as it cools down more.
4. To make the crostini, toast the bread slices until very lightly charred on both sides.
5. To serve, spread some garbanzo bean purée on top of each warm crostini and spoon on a little olive relish.
|An unusual yet delicious combination!|
Anchovy and black olives are indeed exotic stuff in my pantry. They cost a bomb here and I have never bought them. This is the first time they appear in my kitchen! :)
I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) for this week's theme, Stock Your Exotic Pantry!